Bookmarks – We’ve Got Bookmarks!

Home Forums ArcGIS Online Bookmarks – We’ve Got Bookmarks!

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

As you start working with AGOL web maps and apps, you’ll notice that there is no easy, automated way to enter bookmarks. You have to zoom to each location desired and create a bookmark. Very tedious. Even worse, the bookmarks cannot be ported from one map to the next.

Well, due to a bug report I filed with Esri after creating 125 bookmarks that didn’t point to where I had zoomed to, I have two solutions to offer you. I have now created a template web map that contains all the unincorporated place names used by DRP and I was introduced to an unsupported utility for working with the JavaScript behind AGOL items. This utility would enable you to port bookmarks across web maps.

The Web App Template with Bookmarks (http://lacounty.maps.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=b8f67ed06fc6498d99957cb6fdab8a05) can be used as a basis for your web maps. It contains only the Esri World Street Map, the default tools, and the bookmarks. Just save a copy, plop in your data layers, and customize away. This is available now.

Because the bookmark feature seemed buggy, the Esri rep introduced me to ArcGIS Online Assistant (http://ago-assistant.esri.com/). When you log in and provide your AGOL credentials, all you see is a list of your “My Content” folders and an “I want to…” dropdown. For importing the bookmarks, I used the second item “View an item’s JSON” and then opened a folder and selected the item I was interested in.

The upper box shows the description or what you see in the item details view, but I was interested in the lower box, which contained the data from the map. Notice the bookmarks section in the image below:

Image of Bookmark JSON

As you can see, each extent is in geographic coordinates, includes the spatial reference, and has a name. This can be manually edited or copied in by clicking on the pencil to enter edit mode. You can create the bookmarks you need and then copy them to web maps you’ve already made or are just building.
    Because creating the data and properly formatting it for a series of bookmarks can be involved, DRP is considering building a Python script or a model to take your editable input layer, add and populate the envelope fields, and then output the properly formatted JSON. Please let me know if this would be of interest.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.